Make Music Day takes place in 125 countries across the globe. Each of these countries has its own unique folk music tradition which we want to share and celebrate on Make Music Day.
Since 2021, we invited musicians from across the world to take part in this Global Folk Challenge by swapping folk songs. The project remains so popular that we are doing it again in 2023!
Participating musicians or groups can share a folk song from their country, and in exchange, learn and perform a different folk song submitted by another participating musician. The songs will then be performed and shared on Make Music Day.
If you are a musician or group and up for this global challenge, sign up by 22 May and follow the two steps below.
STEP 1: SHARE A SONG
- Submit a song from your country or region’s folk music tradition via this form
- You can submit a song in any language, but we suggest keeping it relatively simple so that other musicians can pick it up easily.
- You can share documents and/or links e.g. written music, lyrics, performance video, audio recording, background information, performance tips. Please ensure to submit an audio recording of the song for other musicians to learn from (not everyone can read music).
- Deadline for submissions – 22 May 2023
STEP 2: LEARN A SONG
- After 22 May, we will share the submitted songs with all of the participating musicians/groups
- You will be able to select a song to perform on 21 June, preferably from a different region or country to your own.
- You will have access to the materials submitted in Step 1. We can also put you in touch with the musician/group who shared the song to ask questions and get to know them.
- You can create your own version of the song i.e. different instruments and performance techniques. We encourage you to interpret the song in whatever way makes sense for you.
- On 21 June, share your performance on social media and use the hashtags #MMDFolk and #MakeMusicDayUK to join in the global celebration!