a worldwide celebration of music
Make Music Day is performed by anyone, enjoyed by everyone, and we really mean it. We want the day to be filled with as many different events as possible in all sorts of spaces and places.
Follow the links below to find out how you can get involved. And if you have another idea and would like to add it to this list, please do let us know!
Make Music Day is:
- Performed by anyone, enjoyed by everyone
- Open to music makers of all ages, skill levels, and musical styles
- A DIY celebration of music that needs YOU to make it happen
- A chance for people to have a go at singing or trying an instrument for the first time
- An opportunity to promote your venue, business or musical activity
- A way to showcase talent and reach new audiences
- A fantastic way to enjoy the longest day of the year
If you’d like to organise your own event, in a venue you use regularly or in a new space, you can list your event on our map. Have a look at our Help and Inspiration pages to guide you each step of the way.
Your event can be anything, as long as it’s free entry and involves music. It could be:
- A performance or gig in any kind of venue, indoors or outdoors
- An open mic night
- A music festival in your local park
- An open rehearsal
- A come and sing event
- A taster music lesson
- A drumming workshop
- A battle of the bands
- A DJ night at a local venue
- A flashmob
Maybe you’re a band, singer, DJ or choir who would like to take part but have nowhere to perform. If this is you, register on our website. Venues in your area will then be able to contact you to offer a performance slot.
Make Music Day is open to anyone regardless of age, ability or style of music. You could be:
- An orchestra, band, choir or ensemble
- A school or youth music group
- Singer-songwriter, soloist, DJ, electronic musician
- Workshop leader or community musician
- And anything else, as long as what you do is live music!
If you’d like to put on an event in a space that you own or manage, you can sign up here. Once you’ve registered your venue, you can search for musicians in your area and get in touch with them to offer them a performance slot.
We want music to pop up in all sorts of places. Your venue doesn’t have to be open to the general public, but most will be. This is a fantastic way of opening your venue to new audiences and getting to know your local community. A performance space can be indoors or open air, e.g:
- Arts centre, live music venue or concert hall
- Park, open space, bandstand, moor, beach
- Shop or shopping centre
- Library, school, village hall, community venue
- Pub, café or restaurant
- School playground
- Top deck of a bus, train carriage
- Car park, train station, airport
We always need lots of enthusiastic volunteers in the run up to the event and on the day itself, all over the country. Whatever you’d like to do, from supporting our social media campaign to taking part in stewarding and event management on 21 June itself – we’d love to have you involved.
We are using the Do-it website to recruit volunteers in various regions of the UK. We will have more specific requirements very soon, but please sign up to register your interest.
SIGN UP HERE.
In kind support and sponsorship
Make Music Day only receives a small amount of core funding. We therefore rely on the generosity of many individuals and organisations to help make the day happen. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or can offer in kind support (lending technical and sound equipment, help with marketing support or provide musical instruments and resources), we’d love to hear from you. CONTACT US.
Read our Sponsorship Brief